AAA: 30 Million will Travel Internationally this Year
AURORA, Ill. (July 31, 2018) – A growing number of Americans are traveling overseas. AAA estimates more than 30 million American family travelers will visit an international destination this year, according to a new national survey by AAA. That estimate is 9 percent more than just two years ago.
While international travel grows in popularity, so too has the demand for travel insurance. Survey data shows nearly 2 in 5 Americans (38 percent) are likely to purchase travel insurance for future international trips. AAA sales data has also reflected that trend. So far this year, the purchase of domestic and international travel insurance rose 20 percent, with a 13 percent increase from 2016 – 2017.
“Unexpected events like family emergencies and natural disasters can lead to missed bookings and unplanned expenses,” said Beth Mosher, director of public affairs, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Travel insurance is added protection for your investment and provides peace-of-mind both before and during your trip.”
Travel Insurance Helps When:
Top Factors Influencing Travelers’ Decision to Purchase Travel Insurance:
- You landed, your bags didn’t. Airlines mishandled more than 22 million bags in 2017, according to SITA. Travel insurance can provide coverage to replace needed items if luggage is delayed, damaged or stolen.
- You get sick. Insurance may help cover medical expenses while traveling, internationally and in the United States. Many hospitals outside of the country require cash payments before providing treatment.
- Health insurance. Most health insurance policies don’t cover international travel. Travel insurance can help cover medical expenses and costly medical evacuation back to the United States in emergencies.
- Flight delays and cancellations. Airlines may not cover all the costs associated with a delayed or cancelled flight. Travel insurance can help reimburse expenses such as rebooking fees, meals and accommodations.
- Economic uncertainties. The loss of a job or other income may mean having to postpone a trip planned in advance. Travel insurance can help travelers recoup their costs when funds are tight.
What Travelers Consider the Key Benefits of Travel Insurance:
- 70% – The cost of their trip
- 69% – Personal or family health concerns
- 61% – How far in advance the trip is booked
- 57% – Recommendations to purchase insurance by friends or family
About the Survey
- 88% – Reimbursement if they need to cancel a trip
- 76% – Assistance services like lost passport, credit card or medication
- 76% – Emergency medical transportation assistance
- 76% – Help with expenses due to unexpected trip interruptions (e.g. having to return home early because a family member got sick
- 75% – Help with expenses due to delayed or lost luggage
- 72% – Help with medical expenses while traveling
AAA’s travel insurance research findings are the result of a telephone survey (landline and cell phone) consisting of 1,003 adults living in the continental United States. Interviewing for this survey was conducted June 21-24, 2018. This study has an average statistical error of ±4 percent at the 95 percent confidence level for all U.S. adults.
About AAA - The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, insurance, financial services and travel offerings to over 9.5 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 58 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety. Motorists can map a route, identify gas prices, find discounts, book a hotel, and access AAA roadside assistance with the AAA Mobile app for iPhone, iPad and Android. Learn more at AAA.com/mobile. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at AAA.com.